Sydney to Auckland Ocean Race 2021
The race of a lifetime
The race will start on Sydney Harbour on 30 January 2021 and finish in Auckland Harbour in time to help the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron celebrate their 150th Anniversary and enjoy the 36th Americas Cup. This challenging Category 1 race is open to offshore cruising and racing yachts, Superyachts, ocean racing multihulls, as well as incorporating a rally for cruisers.
The program in Auckland 2021 will be diverse; yachts from around the world will gather including a fleet of J Class yachts, Superyachts, international classics fleet as well as the Prada Cup series and America’s Cup Match. There will no doubt be a party atmosphere as the country comes out to celebrate a famous club and the world’s most renowned yachting competition.
The RPAYC are looking for sponsors for the race and believe that the opportunity to be involved will be an exciting one particularly for those operating across the Tasman.
For more information on sponsorship opportunities contact: email@example.com
Vice Commodore of the RNZYS, Aaron Young, says “2021 is a massive year for us at the RNZYS and will certainly go down as the biggest year in our history. It is fantastic to be able to get the Sydney to Auckland Yacht Race back on the sailing calendar and we are already incredibly impressed with the high calibre of yachts that have expressed their interest.”
“A race between these two sailing meccas is incredibly exciting, the historic rivalry between us will only add to draw sailors from both sides of the Tasman Sea as well as internationally to compete” enthuses RPAYC Commodore Michael Lockley. “Having recently been at the helm for the 150th Anniversary of the RPAYC the opportunity to join our great friends at the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron to celebrate theirs is going to be fabulous. The two clubs have a great history of friendship, there is an enormous synergy in our ethos as well as our sailing programs.” “My passion is offshore yacht racing so I can’t wait to hit the start line” concludes Commodore Lockley.
Schedule of Events
- Welcome & Team briefing - TBA
- Sydney to Auckland Ocean Race, 30th January 2021
- 36th America's Cup, 6th-21st March 2021
RNZYS 150th Event Schedule
- Prada Cup / Challenger Series – January – February 2021
- Americas Cup 36 will run from March 6, 2021 – Emirates Team New Zealand will represent the RNZYS.
- J Class (120 ft plus classic racing yachts) will have their own regatta in Auckland during the America’s Cup period as well attending the Millenium Cup in the Bay of Islands
- A few of the 12M Class ex-America’s Cup boats such as the famous Kiwi Magic – KZ7 are looking at coming to Auckland
- 52 Super series – an invitation has been sent to the fleet inviting them to New Zealand for two regattas
- Classic Yacht Association NZ and Australia have been invited by RNZYS